- Luke is very specific in placing John’s ministry and Jesus’ baptism. -vs1, 2
- John fulfilled several prophesies; Ps 98:2,3, Isa 40:3-5, 42:16, 45:2, 49:11, 52:10, 57:14, Zech 4:7
- John called it as he saw it, directly and to the point. -vs7, 8 & 19
- John seemed to view repentance as a humbling and life changing experience. -vs15-16a
- He gave specific instruction on righteous living. -vs10-14
- He knew who he was, who he was not and the purpose God established for him-vs3a, 4-6 & 16b
- John prophesied the Messiah’s soon arrival, -v16, God’s coming judgement-vs7 & 9, and the difference in baptisms. -vs16 LUKE 3:15-17
21Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus was also baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened,
22and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My Beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased."
- Why does Luke make such an effort to date John the Baptist's ministry?
- Establish Jesus’ bloodline to David, His connection to all humankind, connection to the Abrahamic covenant; establish his legal lineage to Kind David.